Tuesday, April 27, 2010

filling the void

-
Non-Newtonian fluids – Colloid Relationships


If you rush it does it harden and dig in it’s feet? Resist change? Block the flow? Or is it only solid if you hit it?
If you slowly stick your finger in it, does it yield? Does is surround and encompass and suspend you within its substance?
Filling the void, is that ultimately all we do?
I choose to fill my void with non-newtonian fluid.



(Ketchup, like Ooze, is a non-Newtonian fluid. Physicists say that the best way to get ketchup to flow is to turn the bottle over and be patient. Smacking the bottom of the bottle actually slows the ketchup down! Look up non-newtonian fluid, and use it for a writing prompt, I dare ya!)

10 comments:

  1. i thought if you hit the 57...i think they might have been just giving me something to do to fill that void...of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! Took me to school, on this one. Right back to science class, ooblek and quicksand.

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, it is the shape of the bottle that causes ketchup to come out slow. If you put it in a glass, you can pour it right out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are way smarter than I am. Not to mention I loved your Prelude to a Nap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too scientific for me I think. I'm with Walking man. Unless, of course, it's a glass bottle (Does ketchup even come in glass bottles anymore?)

    To answer the question you left on my blog, you can find my book here:
    https://www.createspace.com/3444320. And thanks SO much for your support. I appreciate it. Lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/jingles-may-follower-award-week-2.html

    awards for u.
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete