Thursday, April 8, 2010

Friday 55 Georgia O'Keefe

-
Georgia O’Keefe
painted flowers.

As a teenager,
I saw:
mists of salmon pearls
blushing
to scarlet,
around powdered
grey petals
pulling out
lapis irises.

Concentric layers
of receding facets,
opening outward
and tunneling inward.

Shadows draping,
light spacing
the forms embracing:
motion,
vibration,
repeated
impressions.

Now, I so often recognize
Georgia O’Keefe
painted more than flowers.

This is a poem in 55 words.  If you want to participate on Fridays, post your short story or poem in exactly 55 words, and let G-Man know, HERE
-
What is it about flowers in Spring, or on significant days, or for a funeral, or for gifts between lovers?  We know the effects of chocolate historically and biochemically.  So.... does anyone know why flowers are so intoxicating, .....really?
...
“Nobody sees a flower, really, it is so small. We haven't time - and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time.
If I could paint the flower exactly as I see it no one would see what I see because I would paint it small like the flower is small. So I said to myself - I'll paint what I see - what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it - I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers.
...Well, I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower you hung all your own associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see of the flower - and I don't."
-Georgia O'Keeffe quotes.

-California Lupin, photo by JT Giese, 2010

20 comments:

  1. nice 55. like the quotes as well...love the flowers of spring.

    my 55 is up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....just wow. The words paint a picture. Much better than art in a way.

    And you even added a Texas State Flower!!! The bluebonnet!!!

    Here is my Flash 55 for the week. [scroll down below my Show n Tell feature]

    Have a wonderful Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminded me so much of stuff I had forgotten from my childhood. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Di...
    This was beautiful!
    Excellent 55 My Dear.
    I commented just yesterday that all the flowers in my front yard made my porch smell like a funeral home.
    Thanks for visiting, thanks for this Azure Basked contribution, and have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is so much more...
    and one thing I have noticed is that life becomes sweeter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes she did. Lovely job for the 55!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have a beautiful nature image in words,
    magical and enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful words to a beautiful picture...the rest is too small for me to read :(


    my 55 is up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how things take on different meanings if you just look a little deeper than the surface!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the best art shows I saw in my life was the paintings of Georgia O'Keefe...Loved this 55! Have a colorful weekend!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an artist with words...lovely 55.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The poem and picture were wonderful, the insight into Ms O'Keeffe was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is so much in what lies just beneath the surface; this is so beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful!

    And the pollen has just driven me back indoors...from where I'd been planting flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely focused apprecition.

    As you know, my thing is syllables.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful poem, beautiful photo, and I love the trivia you threw in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful, I love the choice of words and image :)

    Marinela x

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, this is very good, really really good - it has simplicity and it's subdued but manages to express so much emotion. i can feel its truth inside...

    ReplyDelete